Saturday, September 4, 2010

Spider man(ga)

I've always been fascinated by spiderwebs, particularly the ones that appear at dawn, dew-drenched and crystalline, engineering marvels silhouetted in the morning sun, proud artist in the center taking all due props. I feel the same way about good tag art, although the artist would probably be arrested if he or she didn't bolt upon completion. Tag art is colorful and easy to photograph - look for photos of that stuff in the future. Spiderwebs have been more problematic. For one thing, those backlit webs require shooting directly into the sun, which washes everything out. And then, I don't have any special lenses, so I have to get really close to get anything interesting. The photo above was shot at 4 p.m., in a shady corner of my backyard pool enclosure. I had to get within a foot of the spider, so you can bet I looked at those orange triangles pretty carefully to make sure I wasn't baiting a black widow. I think it turned out okay, especially the lace fan effect that appeared out of nowhere as I messed with the contrast, backlight, and sharpness. The spider itself was none to happy to see me. Those of you who know something about spiders might recognize this attack posture as it went all Karate Kid on me. Anyway, here's my first spider pic, for what it's worth. It probably won't be my last.

The good stuff:

Coconut Curry wraps at Ethos vegan kitchen
funny-looking dogs
arts strolls
organic beer
Batter Blaster sprayable pancake batter
anticipation
birthday surprises
laughter
haiku
lightning bugs

2 comments:

  1. So that sprayable pancake batter IS good stuff, huh? I had been wondering... not that I really need to be eating more pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. Each can makes about a dozen cakes. Perfect for weekday mornings where you don't want to overindulge -- just spray out a cake or two and put the can back in the fridge. They're pretty tasty.

    I don't do cakes much anymore (as we get old, our bodies need like zero calories) but I'm glad that "cancakes" exist. Hooray for Batter Blaster -- the ultimate indulgence.

    ReplyDelete