Friday, September 24, 2010

Ascension


Growing up, I remember Mom subscribed to The Bethel Series, a Bible-study that featured iconic paintings on glossy card stock. As the series progressed, Mom would add chapters, and I can remember looking forward to seeing those pictures. I don't remember the content of the lessons. I don't think I was even old enough to read. I think it was probably about the same time Mom was clipping phonics cartoons out of the Los Angeles Times -- black and white Monday through Saturday and color on Sunday -- and pasting them in a black binder she used to teach me to read.

I came upon this monument in a Barcelona cemetery and it reminded me of those pictures. Forgive my crude craftsmanship, but, with the help of a cloning brush, I separated statue from pedestal and added lens flare to create my own tribute to that childhood memory. 

The good stuff:

gray geese on black water
frozen fields
the aquatic percussion of irrigation pivots
terraced gardens
yard sales
ladybugs
antimacassars
stacking bookcases
grand openings


No comments:

Post a Comment