Saturday, November 13, 2010

Got butterbeer?


Cheers! And speaking of cheers, Darlyn and I ventured to New Smyrna yesterday for the 7th Annual Wham Bam Poetry Slam -- a crazy-good event put on by the great folks at the Atlantic Center for the Arts. Fifteen poets, three judges, no preparation, and five minutes to compose an original piece, based on a prompt drawn from a brandy snifter. Three rounds, and cash prizes. Darlyn had been asked to judge this year. I was a tag-along, who decided, at the last minute, to sign up and compete. What fun! The event was conducted in three rounds, with us writing and performing each piece before continuing to the next round. Each performance was scored, and three winners were selected based on total combined score. This year's prompts were: "Turning the tide," "That's money," and, "Washing my hands."

Here's my favorite, of the three I wrote:

Bard

Washing my hands
I turn and churn the bar of soap
Slip, sloppy suds
And I wonder
As the bar erodes
How much of that is soap
And how much is me
Swirling and gurgling down the drain

10 times a day
for 48 years
365 days each
plus 12 leaps

There must be a whole me down there
collected in the bend
And I wonder what my doppleganger would be like
If I were to crack open the works
And gather me up
All those soapy bits
And squeeze them together
Into a new clean and shiny person
99 and 44/100ths percent pure
Bar Brad
I'll call him Bard.


The good stuff:

k.d. lang singing about the big-boned gal
poetry under pressure
cardinals dogfighting in the crape myrtle
Atlantic Center for the Arts
Bonfires at biker karaoke bars on U.S. 1.
crazy, quirky poets getting their muse on
tiny, cozy cabins amid the palmetto and cabbage palm
deer on the swale
dressing up - for a radio show . . .
biscuits and gravy at It's All Good, New Smyrna.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment