Friday, November 5, 2010

Russians Love American Music


Blue
From Three Houses Copyright 2008, Brad Kuhn & Darlyn Finch

There's a shade of blue
I call "Wild Blue"
that makes me think of France
or Kansas
depending on how pretentious I'm feeling
or how much I've been thinking about wine
"Cornflower" they'd call it
in men's shirt catalogs
"Cerulean" to poets and
fashion-forward writers of couture copy
I guess because it's hard to get people
to break off an extra $20 for "Yonder."
It's free in November
Sky

There's a shade of blue
I call "Sweet-Jesus"
that makes me think of dancing in biker bars
hands cupped on the denim-clad curves
of a big-boned gal
hanging on for dear life
eye to eye, knee to thigh
grinding her gears
She sucks breath through clenched teeth
as my fingers find and linger on
the thin spot
that makes her think of past mistakes
and ones she'd like to make again
Indigo

There's a shade of blue
I call "Lucille"
that makes me think of Kansas City,
New Orleans, Memphis, St. Louis, or Chicago
Digging glassy-eyed Buddhas with their mad, mad mudras
using horns and crying guitars
to rip the hearts out of suckers like me
who pay for the privilege
of having the surgery performed by professionals
instead of the dull knives of the back-alley butchers
back home
Cobalt.


Blues, jazz and tag art (the russian sax man was painted on a construction fence in Key West)--a few of my favorite things. Here are a few more . . .

The good stuff:

Folk songs sung at the top of our lungs, with a Bob Dylan accent.
Playing guitar till it twangs out of tune.
Swapping family stories and laughing until our faces hurt.
Loud, clumsy, wonderful sibling reunion.
Being reached via Facebook, because my phone is on silent.
Watching my daughter leave for school, driving herself for the first time.
Getting a phone call from my daughter (unsolicited) and hearing she arrived safely.
One day off
With four bottles, you get a wine bag, free!
St. Augustine

No comments:

Post a Comment