Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The only ones for me are the mad ones . . .


This is how Darlyn and I roll. We meet at the house, in Orlando, where Jack Kerouac lived when On The Road was published, and where he wrote The Dharma Bums. Darlyn goes on to live in the house as a writer in residence as part of a program called "The Kerouac Project." The next year, we go to Paris, and after a tour of the "Beats in Paris," and a wonderful birthday party for a friend at the U.S. Ambassador's residence, we see this in a window display that very clearly says "The Kerouac Project."  Apparently there's a line of swanky work boots, messenger bags and leather jackets fashioned after the rugged individualism of Kerouac. Anyway, a happy coincidence. Last night, at the Cornell Museum of Fine Arts at Rollins College, I had the pleasure of watching Darlyn and several other talented poets/writers affiliated with the Kerouac Project, reading work produced in, or inspired by the house, in conjunction with a traveling exhibit of work by Robert Motherwell and Jasper Johns. I became involved as a founding director of The Kerouac Project back in the mid-1990s, and it continues to bless my life. Over the next few weeks, I'll have the opportunity to work with pop culture historian Bob Kealing to produce a special edition of his wonderful book Kerouac In Florida: Where the Road Ends.

The good stuff:

The Kerouac Project poetry reading at Rollins College
Mom and Dad visiting from Omaha
A visit with the Sheriff, for good reasons (making Central Florida better for biking/walking)
Lunch with a potential benefactor
A good parking place
Crock-pot cookin'
Eagles and Osprey
Yellow-footed water birds
Nesting
Lemon-scented Soft-scrub

7 comments:

  1. Here's to Paris, the mad ones, Jack Kerouac, and you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brad,

    I've tried to find out more information about the limited edition of Kerouac in Florida: Where the Road Ends, and I always considered myself a good researcher, but I keep drawing blanks.

    My father, Fred DeWitt, took the photographs of Jack that Bob "rediscovered" and are part of the exhibition. There are a few floating around on the net but it doesn't seem that the prints are for sale in any venue. I've written Bob via Facebook but no response. I'd ask my father but I haven't seen him for 56 years. Bit awkward. However, I love those photographs and would like to have a collection. So I guess I have 2 questions; 1) what are the plans for this special edition and 2) do you have any information about the available of prints? Have also left a message for the Collections Manager at the Orange County Historical Museum but no word there either. I was born in Winter Park and I'm glad you enjoy your life in Central Florida so much...
    Best regards,
    Kip

    ReplyDelete