Friday, August 13, 2010

Keys to success


Don't get me wrong; I love my word processor. But there's something magical about my old Eliott Fisher Special Edition Underwood. Jack Kerouac wrote Atop on Underwood. He stayed up nights a few miles from here playing Charlie Parker records and agonizing over the final rewrite of On The Road. He blasted out the sequel, The Dharma Bums, in a two-week jag of coffee and Benzadrine. You don't see many buggywhip collectors. But typewriters are different. Typewriters are art. I had the pleasure of publishing a poet, who wrote exclusively on typewriters, had them all over the house and moved, one to another, as the mood struck him. He was/is a blues musician, and he wrote as much by the sound and feel of the keys as by the sound and feel of the words themselves. Here's a link to a picture of a woman who had a typewriter, and the last paragraph of On The Road, tattooed on her back. http://thorspecken.blogspot.com/2009/06/tess-adamski.html

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic new blog Brad! This post reminds me that I want to sketch the Lust Cash Transactor store on Mills. If you ever want to ekphrasticly connect with one of my sketches, let me know.
    Thor
    Analog Artist Digital World
    thorspecken.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete