Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Bill & Ted's LAST Excellent Adventure


Death may not be proud, but dayum, some people go out in style. As you may have gathered, I'm not morbid. I celebrate life in all its many shades and colors. But ever since I saw the famous pyramids of Gisa (one page before the hanging gardens of Babylon) in my little Scholastic "7 Wonders of the World" paperback, I've been fascinated with the ways different cultures venerate loved ones and empire builders. Fair warning -- I love to photograph interesting funery. I find it achingly beautiful, and sometimes (as in this case) even funny. Oh, sure you've got your cherubs, a cross, and even a mourning dove with an olive laurel. But you'd barely notice them. This is a guy bound for eternity in a glass box (that somebody has to squeegee), wearing a polo! He's got sunglasses tucked in the collar of his shirt and he's hoisting a bottle of Jack Daniels. I mean, don't you just want to party with this guy?

The good stuff:

juniper berries
grass stains
rope swings
crickets
alligator eyes
cinnamon
happy meal toys
cracker jack
orange blossoms
Cotton-eyed Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment