Sunday, August 8, 2010

Here Be Monsters




Not to brag, but, by show of hands, how many of you can say you live in a state where it rains lizards as big as Christmas hams? Don’t believe me? Check out this video.  http://www.justnews.com/video/22153242/index.html Iguanas aren't native to Florida -- let he among us who is truly native cast the first stone -- but they thrive in our tropical climate and can grow as long as six feet. This little guy was only about two feet long, but Darlyn and I saw a couple of five-footers literally walking on water -- running like monsters across a thick mat of sea grass in a backwater on No Name Key. When the temperature drops as low as it did this past winter, the iguanas go torpid and fall out of trees. Now you might consider iguana rain one of the signs of the Apocalypse. Personally, it makes me want to ride my bike up and down Duval Street asking shopkeepers for an iguana-proof umbrella -- maybe something in a nice carbon fiber, or Kevlar. To me it's only more proof that I am, in fact, living in a Salvador Dali painting, and I like that, very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment