Sunday, December 5, 2010

Scribbler's Corner

Darlyn at work is a beautiful thing. ... Darlyn at work is a beautiful thing. I had the opportunity to see Darlyn in full-on frenetic work mode this weekend. She has agreed to do some part-time bookkeeping for me and was helping me get my office in order. Sixteen hours later, I had to unplug the computer to get her to stop. That's just the way she is. Whether she is writing, or working (for free) on behalf of the Central Florida writing community, she gives all she's got. I took this picture in October, at the AM 810 studio, where she was broadcasting her Scribbler's Corner radio show. (Second Saturday of every month at Noon(ish) during the second half of Yo Soy Latino - yes it's in English). Typical Darlyn -- edge of her chair, coiled and ready. She looks as if she's ready to spring into action. And, speaking of Scribbler's Corner . . . Next Saturday (Dec. 11) Darlyn will be interviewing me, and my colleague Diane Sears, owner of DiVerse Media, on how getting laid-off can be a blessing, and how you can earn six figures freelancing.


The Good Stuff:

Bluejay at my window
Warm, fuzzy socks
Hot ginger tea
Pom Pom's Teahouse and Sandwicheria
Chocolate Guiness cupcakes
Snowy nights and Christmas lights. Tinsel afternoons.
First Friday arts strolls
Orlando Shakespeare Theater
The Innocence Project
Scribbles

3 comments:

  1. Are you kidding? Six figures? Freelancing? Good for you. Glad you are successful and able to work for yourself. You are very brave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True story! It's possible, and I'm proof. I'd read about it, and I was skeptical, but once I jumped in with both feet, opportunities just presented themselves. Tune in Saturday, and call in with questions. Always good to know we're talking to real live people and not just the end of a microphone. WEUS 810 AM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny, but separate from writing, one of the hats I wear is as director of Bike/Walk Central Florida, a nonprofit devoted to promoting biking and walking for fun, fitness and transportation. Since stepping into that role in January, I've started commuting by bicycle, once a week or so, 11 miles, from Ocoee to downtown Orlando. People say the same thing: "You are very brave." But, as with writing, I found that if you just get out there and do something - feel the fear and do it anyway - it's not nearly as scary as it may seem from a distance. (freelancing or riding a bicycle in traffic).

    ReplyDelete