Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happiness



Spent the last few days under the weather. Darlin' Darlyn nursed me back to health with hot ramen and tender loving care. One of the highlights of the past few fever-addled days, was sitting side-by-side on the loveseat in my library, playing guitar and singing folk songs - Darlyn's sweet melodic voice floating smooth and soothing over my own, tortured Tom Waits. I like the way this picture highlights the grooves in the well-travelled fretboard of my 1970s-vintage Yamaha G-65 classical guitar. Even the frets themselves look dished and worn from 40 years of therapeutic noodlings. We've traveled a long way together -- from This Land is Your Land and Kum Bi Yah  to Blackbird and Classical Gas, through break ups and make ups and countless campfires. I have newer guitars - sleek electrics with equalizers and built-in tuners. But for good old-fashioned chicken soup comfort, it's hard to beat the sweet, mellow sound of my old friend.

The good stuff:

Darlyn -- just because
chicken ramen
Lemon zinger tea - with Grand Marnier.
humidifiers
hometown heroes
antibiotics
seagulls - miles from shore
the day after the fever breaks
new sidewalks
acorns crunching underfoot.


No comments:

Post a Comment